First Responders serve a critical role in emergency operations whether preserving lives, protecting property or providing other essential services.
The Ready Responder Toolkit (PDF – 2.8Mb) is designed to provide emergency response agencies with planning tools to help prepare first responders and their families for emergencies. These tools are flexible and customizable. They can be used by planners to meet the specific needs of their agency or department.
Considerations for Emergency Responders
- You may have special concerns as a single parent, pet owner, or care provider for a dependent loved one.
- Lack of preparedness at home will impact your ability to do your job effectively and safely. Your family members will likely have to survive on their own without you to make important decisions.
- Preparing with your family ahead of time will reduce stress and uncertainty on all of you in the event of an emergency.
- Working with your neighbors, relatives, and friends will improve your ability to care for your loved ones following a disaster.
- Families where both parents are responders have special circumstances.
- You will need to have a family support network that can care for your children, pets, property, dependents or those with special needs, and should notify their supervisor of their family situation.
- Communications with your loved ones may be difficult.
- You may be separated when an emergency occurs and may be unable to care for your family.
- You may be working in very stressful conditions for extended amounts of time.
- You may be required to work extra shifts without knowing where or how your family is.
- You may not know the condition of your home or other property.
Considerations for Agency Preparedness
- Members may not respond if they are unsure of the safety of their families.
- Agencies should determine disaster policies and clearly communicate them to members so there is a clear understanding of what will occur.
- Past experience and recent studies have enforced the importance of organization sponsored programs for their members
Bill stuffer (PDF – 534Kb)
Event flyer with a picture of children (PDF – 244Kb)
Event flyer with a picture of the emergency supply kit (PDF – 141Kb)
Event flyer with a picture of a responder with family (PDF – 407Kb)
Event flyer with a picture of responders (PDF - 476Kb)
Informational Business Card (PDF – 62Kb)
Poster with a picture of children (PDF - 427Kb)
Poster with a picture of responders (PDF - 530Kb)
Poster with a picture of a responder with family (PDF – 635Kb)
Media Information Template (PDF – 199Kb)
Press Release Template (PDF – 199Kb)
Department Letter Template (PDF – 170Kb)
Internal Email Template (PDF –176Kb)
Ready Responder Power Point (PDF – 3.1Mb)